Tuesday, February 01, 2022

Proper 2 C Epiphany 7 C ( February 20): Forgiveness













































Bible Readings: Genesis 45: 3-11, 15, Psalm 37:1-11, 39-40, 1 Corinthians 15: 35-38, 42-50,  Luke 6:27-38

About the Images:
Upper Left : This is a free image from Cerezzo Barredo - see my link column at left.
Upper Right: This is free image from the Heartlight site. See my link column at left.
Middle Left: This is another free image from the Heartlight site. See my link column at left.
Middle Right: This is a free image from Misioneros Del Sagrado Corazón en el Perú. 
Lower Left and RightMore free images from the Heartlight site. See my link column at left.

Drama: Hmmmm.
Setting : Person praying and five people standing facing him/her who each turn around to the congregation when it is their turn to speak.
Leader: Let us pray (everybody bows their heads). Creator God, we come to you this morning thankful for what you do for us.   Thankyou for all the good things you have done for us this week……
1: Good things!?  What good things?  I’ve had a lousy week.
Leader: We thank you particularly for the rain which filled our tanks earlier this week…..
2: So much for my suntan!
Leader: Thankyou for comfortable homes and plenty to eat…..
3: I’ve had it with my family!  I can’t wait till I can move out.  I’m sick of people telling me what to do all the time!
Leader: Lord, we ask for your forgiveness when our lives are not in keeping with you.  Forgive us when we are ungrateful….
(First three squirm a little)
1: Whoops, I think I might have been.
2: Mmmmm. Maybe I have too.
3: I could have been just a little bit ungrateful.
Leader: Forgive us when we don’t put you first in our lives….
4: Huh, that’d be a friend of my mine for sure.  He thinks more of his car than of anything else in the world!
Leader: Forgive us when we get out of control …
5: Yeah, you should have heard Simmo last night. He completely lost it with the Umpy and swore his head off at him.
Leader: Forgive us when we don’t spend time with you…
1: Huh! That’d be Jamie down the road.  I saw him playing tennis last Sunday morning.
Leader: Forgive us when we don’t spend enough time with those who love us……
4: That’d be my next door neighbour for sure.  She has the rudest kids I’ve ever come across.  If they were mine they’d soon be behaving themselves.  Can’t think why she doesn’t keep them under control.
Leader: Forgive us when we are not content to follow where you lead…….
2: Uh huh.  I knew it!  I saw Dan and Elly down the street together only yesterday.  There’s no smoke without fire.
Leader: Forgive us when we talk about others behind their backs.
5: I hope my committee is listening. They were gossiping so much at our last meeting that I didn’t even get a chance to tell them about Simmo the other night…
Leader: Forgive us when we are jealous of other people..
3: Jealous? Me? Never! I’d never want to keep up with the Jones….(pause)   They’re a daggy family anyway.
Leader: And now creator God, prepare our hearts to hear your words of assurance from Luke 6:37: Jesus said: Don’t judge others and God won’t judge you. Don’t be hard on others and God won’t be hard on you.  Forgive others, and God will forgive you.
(1,2,3,4 and 5 look increasingly uncomfortable and slowly turn back around to the leader and bow their heads).
Leader; Thankyou Lord, for showing us where we go wrong and help us to be your people. Amen.
© Judging by the wording and the age of this drama in my resources (found in my 2001 file seeing that Epiphany 7 does not pop up all that often) I am guessing this was written by Rosemary Broadstock and myself.  If that is the case,  go ahead and use it. However, I am not 100 per cent sure, so if any of you think you know where else it might come from, please let me know.

Film Clip: The War
(pictured at left) Show the scene where Kevin Costner gives the children who beat up his son, some fairy floss.

Story: The Release
Found in Thereby Hangs a Tale by Penelope Wilcock, Kingsway Publications, 1994, ISBN 0854763996 (pictured at right). I found this a bit too long to read out but it is a great story to retell.

Questions for The Release
What kind of God is worshipped by Helen, by Mike, by Jim, by you/me?

Drama: We'll be the Judge of That.
Found in Mega Drama 5 by Verena Johnson, Open Book, 2002, ISBN 0859109194, page 20 (pictured at left). This drama is based on the Luke reading.



and for the little used epiphany 8 C / Proper 3 C

Brilliant Comments on the Gospel
Found in Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes by Kenneth E. Bailey, SPCK, 2008, ISBN 9780281059751, pages 321-331 (pictured at left).

Drama: Merely No 2
Found in Mega Drama 5 by Verena Johnson, Open Book, 2002, ISBN 0859109194, page 107 (pictured at right). This drama is based on the 1 Corinthians reading.

Discussion Questions: What is a Soul?
Found in Chapter 5 of The Gospel According to the Simpsons Leaders Guide for Group Study by Mark I Pinsky and Samuel F Parvin, Westminster John Knox Press, 2002, ISBN 0 664 22590 X.  These questions are based on the 1 Corinthians reading.

Symbolic Action: The Log in Your Eye
Found in Present on Earth by Wild Goose Worship Group, Wild Goose Publications, 2002, ISBN 0 901557 64 2, page 76ff (pictured at right).  This is based on the Luke reading.


No comments: