Monday, December 04, 2006

Advent 2 C: God's messengers

There is a 2021 version of this blog with lots more resources - see my archive at left

Bible Readings: Luke 1:68-79, Baruch 5:1-9, Malachi 3:1-4, Luke 3:1-6, Philippians 1:3-11 Theme: God's Messengers Responsive reading: The Luke 1:68-79 makes a good responsive reading. Drama: Lucky Day Found in Cloth For the Cradle by Wild Goose Worship Group, Wild Group Publications, 1997, ISBN 1901557014, page 38, (pictured in last weeks blog) Poem: Zechariah's Pride Found in Outback Christmas by Pro Hart and Norman Habel, Lutheran Publishing House, 1990, ISBN 0859105628, page 18 (pictured in last week's blog). Film Clip: Little Women Show the scene near the beginning where the girls share their breakfast with the poor family and the lady of the house calls them angels (messengers) from God. (pictured) Discussion and Activity: Bible study Print the latter four bible readings above onto A4/letter sized paper - a different colour for each reading - and have enough printed so that each person receives one page only, not all four. Project the four questions below or have the questions printed on the bottom of each reading: 1.What is the good news in this reading? 2. How is this message helpful to christians/believers? 3. How is this message helpful to those with little or no knowledge of Jesus? 4. The name "Malachi" (one of the readings) means messenger - do you see yourself or this congregation as a messenger? How? Get people to sort themselves into same paper colour groups of five or six, maybe more, and encourage them to discuss the questions in the light of their particular reading. Ask each group to present to the congregation the thing that impacted on them the most as they discussed the questions. Encourage them to present their finding via a homemade poster, a skit, a song, a poem, a diagram, a clay sculpture etc etc. They will be limited only by the resources and spaces you provide for them to work in. Allow at least 20 - 30 minutes for this whole process. Meditation: Provide/project some images of the world and your local area. Ask the Bill Easum question from Leadership on the Other Side, Abingdon, 2000, ISBN 0687085888 (pictured) : What is it about your relationship with Jesus that the world cannot live without knowing? Give people a quiet space to think about this question. Poem: Unknown!! I don't know where I got this from - either a book or a web site - it would be great if somebody could help me source it.

Do you know, do you understand that you represent Jesus to me? Do you know, do you understand that when you treat me with gentleness, it raises the question in my mind that maybe he is gentle, too? Maybe he isn't someone who laughs when I am hurt. Do you know, do you understand that when you listen to my questions and you don't laugh, I think, "What if Jesus is interested in me, too?" Do you know, do you understand that when I hear you talk about arguments and conflict and scars from your past that I think, "Maybe I am just a regular person instead of a bad, no-good, little girl who deserves abuse?" If you care, I think maybe he cares -- and then there's this flame of hope that burns inside of me, and for a while, I am afraid to breathe because it might go out. Do you know, do you understand that your words are his words? Your face, his face to someone like me? Please be who you say you are. Please, God, don't let this be another trick. Please let this be real. Please. Do you know, do you understand that you represent Jesus to me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The poem on this page is known as "Maggie's poem" and was apparently written by a member of a group that Lee Strobel was leading or who was part of his church in the US.

I heard him read and quote this when he was in the UK some years ago talking about "Building a contagious church". I got the text from him.

every blessing, and thank you for your site / blog / lectionary comments - I find them inspiring and very useful