Sunday, October 29, 2023

Proper 26 A (November 05): Mainly About Saints

 

 














Bible readings: Joshua 3:7-17, Psalm 107:1-7, 33-37, 1 Thessalonians 2:9-13, Matthew 23:1-12

About the Images: 
Upper Left: This is my image of Eringa Waterhole (http://www.exploroz.com/Places/71886/SA/Eringa_Waterhole.aspx) north of the Oodnadatta Track (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oodnadatta_Track) near Hamilton Station (or ranch or farm or homestead or whatever you call them in your part of the world) (http://www.exploroz.com/Places/40214/SA/Hamilton_Station.aspx). This really is a pool in the desert. Please feel free to use the image for worship and related activities. 
Upper Right: This is a free Corel clipart with my text.
Middle Left:  This is a free image from Hermano Leon- see my link column at left.
Middle Right: This is a free image from the Heartlight site - see my link column at left.
Lower Left: This photo, by an unknown author, is licensed by CC-BY-NC-ND.
Lower Right: This free image comes from the now defunct Scripturepic site. 

Listening Song: Go Light Your World 
By Kathy Trocolli on her album, Greatest Hits, or on WOW 1996 (pictured at left)

Kids Story: Gertrude McFuzz
Found in Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories by Dr Seuss, Collins, 1950, ISBN 0001717588 (pictured at left). This fits well with the Matthew reading because it talks about how we often act to impress.

Quiz: Who Am I?
Play this with the congregation as per usual - one line at a time until somebody gets it.
I was born on the 16th January 1902 in Tientsin, China.
My parents were missionaries for the London Missionary Society.
My baptismal names were reversed on the way to my baptism when my parents realised my initials would spell a rude word.
My grandfather was a grocer who often got into trouble for singing Moody and Sankey hymns which were considered far too modern and evangelical.
I enrolled at the School for the Sons of Missionaries in London when I was six years old,
My lasting school comment was " I don't think much of lessons, but I can run".
I started a Science degree at Edinburgh University in 1920.
I committed my life to Jesus when I was at university.
I played international Rugby for Scotland but I retired early.
In 1921 I lost the only race I ever lost in Scotland.
I was known as the only athlete to speak to a black athlete at one track meeting.
I always shook hands with all those I was running against.
I would often dig the starting holes for my opponents.
I would give less experienced runners the inside lanes.
I was once pushed over and off the track - but got up, gained the twenty yards I had lost, and still won.
I was selected for the 1924 British Olympic team to race in the 100 meters.
When I discovered that the heats were on Sunday I refused to compete.
I ran the 400 meters which I had not trained for - and won!
I am Eric Liddell (Chariots or Fire)

Film Clip: Chariots of Fire
(pictured at left) There are heaps of clips which fit this theme. Two which come to mind are the one of him telling the Prince he will not run on Sunday and the one of him winning the race at the Paris Olympics.

Story: What is a Saint
Find this story at http://preachingpoint.org/the-marks-of-a-saint/

Story: What was Eric Liddell's Secret
Find the answer at http://www.evcsj.org/blogs/2008/08/eric-liddell-going-for-gold.html

Story: Hudson Taylor

Years ago the communist government in China commissioned an author to write a  biography of Hudson Taylor with the purpose of distorting the facts and presenting him in a bad light. They wanted to discredit the name of this consecrated missionary of the gospel. As the author was doing his research, he was increasingly impressed by Taylor’s saintly character and godly life, and he found it extremely difficult to carry out his assigned task with a clear conscience. Eventually, at the risk of losing his life, he laid aside his pen, renounced his atheism, and received Jesus as his personal Saviour. Whether we realise it or not, our example leaves an impression on others. Source unknown. Also found at http://net.bible.org/illustration.php?topic=815

Story: Saints Depend on God
A young theology college graduate came up to the pulpit, very self confident and smug. He was immaculately dressed. He knew he had what it took. He began to deliver his first sermon to his first church but when he started to speak, the words simply wouldn’t come out. Humiliated, he burst into tears and ended up leaving the pulpit, obviously humbled. There were two old ladies sitting in the front row and one remarked to the oth
er, "If he'd come in like he went out, he would have gone out like he came in." Source unknown (but let me know if you know). 

Discussion: Matthew 23:1-12
1. In verses 1-7 what are the things which prevent God's light from shining through us.
2. In verses 8-12, what are the things that allow God's light to shine through us?
3. Think of a saint you have known or still know. Describe that saint to the person next to you and explain the influence they have had on you.


Book: Hope is an Open Heart 
By Lauren Thompson, Scholastic Press, 2008, ISBN 1397817416922
28. This beautiful book fits anywhere in this service - call to worship, children's talk, sermon, or response (pictured at left). 

Response Activity:
Light a candle in memory of:
1. A saint you have known who has died, or
2. In thankfulness for a saint who still has the light of God shining through them, or
3. As a symbolic statement of your own intent to live as a saint.


Also:

Drama: The First Shall Be Last
Found in Mega Drama 2 by Verena Johnson (Ed.), Open Book, 2001, ISBN 085910916Xv2, page 63 (pictured at left). This is based on the gospel story.

Prayer: Thanksgiving
Found in Multi-Sensory Prayer by Sue Wallace, Scripture Union, 2001, ISBN 1859994652, page 44 (pictured at right) and based on the Psalm reading.

Prayer: North, South, East, West
Found in Multi-Sensory Prayer by Sue Wallace, Scripture Union, 2001, ISBN 1859994652, page 17 (pictured at right) and based on the Psalm reading.

No comments: